The Michigan Bulletin web site collects anonymous, aggregate data about how the site is used, such as number of visitors, length of visit and most frequently visited pages. This information is used internally by MiBulletin.org to improve the site’s value to our readers. Externally, this information may be used to provide marketing data to potential sponsors / advertisers.
Sponsors and Advertisers may be asked to provide personal data, such as name and e-mail address. Site visitors may be asked for personal data in the event of contests or subscriptions. Personally identifiable information you provide will not be shared with third parties except when necessary to provide the product or service requested.
General Legal Disclaimer
Information and credit in these pages is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing. We strive to acquire permission for the use of copyrighted material and to provide accurate recognition to the creative author of all materials. The web is a dynamic and ever changing medium resulting in "broken links" as well as webmaster "wanna-bes" creating web sites using copyrighted materials without providing proper credit. Furthermore, content / photos often come from outside sources and because they may not provide the information, we may not provide credit that is due. We assume no responsibility for incorrect information. However, updates on the web site pages will be made as soon as practical after we have found that any of the information on these pages has changed or is not accurate. Issues of concern regarding the web site should include your name, telephone number, e-mail address and be provided to:
webstaff @ mibulletin.org
Letters to the Editor and General Content
The views and opinions expressed in the Michigan Bulletin Newspaper and reproduced here on the web site do not necessarily reflect those of the newspaper. We welcome letters to the Editor. All letters should be typed, no longer than 150 words, include signature (when mailed), address, e-mail contact (if available) and telephone number or they will not be considered for publication. The Michigan Bulletin / MiBulletin.org reserves the right to edit all letters and photographs. The letters will not be returned. Digital photos are preferred and should be submitted in JPG or TIF format. Mailed photos will not be returned unless a stamped, self-addressed envelope is enclosed. Letters to the Editor should be e-mailed to Editor @ mibulletin.org and sent to:
The Michigan Bulletin
Photographs, Artwork and other images are subject to the following:
All content and photos on this site are copyrighted by their contributors as indicated or The Michigan Bulletin / MiBulletin.org. For material that is copyrighted by contributors, you will need to contact them regarding use. Advertising Images, coding, content created by us or advertising agencies may not be used unless agreed upon compensation is provided. Article content and article images may be used for educational or non-profit efforts however, a link to the page it appears on and written information regarding it's source must appear on your page or in an attached bibliography / credits page. The author / photographers name should be present together with contact information where available (usually provided on the "credits" page if not on the actual page). You will need to send an e-mail to webstaff @ mibulletin.org with your full name, contact information and a link to your web site where you are using the content. Subject Line: Copyright Request. The maximum time you may use this content is one year unless other arrangements are agreed upon.
Credits - General History of Web site Creation
ASCOT members & MSU /SBC Grant -
October 2003 to April 2004
Vene Thomas Yates - May to June 2004
2. External CSS page used for formatting text. Original pages used embedded CSS. By using an external style sheet, elements can be changed or added on one page of code that will then effect the appearance of the entire web site. Haile was extensively involved in the creation of this code page.
3. Layout and structure of folder / file
system to provide:
4. SSI / CGI pages and Templates. Created two templates and five SSI pages to use for easier updates, maintenance, and ongoing creation of bi-monthly issues of the online version of the newspaper. It is recommended that The Michigan Bulletin purchase a retail version of Macromedia Dreamweaver MX® while it is still available because my experience has been that subsequent versions of the Templates created in this software developer's application do not transfer over and need to be recreated. Furthermore, this will allow the Michigan Bulletin to legally use the application to create and sell online advertising services.
5. Modular Design for Newspaper Issues. Created module which uses two of the SSI pages to provide consistent navigation from issue to issue. The template that is used to create the pages for the section must have two lines of code adjusted before being renamed and then applied to the pages for the current issue. Together these elements allow for module wide changes by making adjustments to only these three pages without effecting previous modules.
6. Documentation. Used spread sheet program to develop the logic for the site structure / layout and to document the folder and file names used for the entire site, the main section and the module.
8. Web Host Service. Created e-mail accounts for use by staff on the new web host and enabled redirect of mail to their personal accounts. Discovered and created FTP access to the service to upload and download pages. Further exploration of the site and enabling procedures will need to be done to provide feedback forms, polls, database use and other services available from the web host site.
Improvements and additions:
9. July 2004 - Module: Add new folder
(p10crreview) and page (civilrtsreview.shtml) and link to include page
(toc.shtml) for civil rights review articles. Moved advertising link into
the include page (footer.shtml) providing site wide change and site wide
access to the advertising info.
10. July 29, 2004 - Contactus.shtml - added information on advertising prices and distribution info provided by Marcus Jefferson. Added picture of Haile Peters as web intern and link to e-mail at webstaff.
11. Sept 2, 2004 - To consistently get up a timely version of the Michigan Bulletin, discussed with Marcus the advantage of doing an abreviated version of the paper for the online site. Decided to put up at least one front page feature, the 411 section, a young publisher article, and a current event article. Created new TOC.shtml (table of contents) to use in module.(see vol10issue14).
12. Sept. 17, 2004 - Created first ever online ad including pop-up window for Community Voices and Capital Area Health Alliance (see vol10issue15). Developed pricing structure and payment contract for online ads and provided to Marcus for approval. See webadrates.html and webadinfo.txt for details. This also also features a PHOTO GALLERY page of Summerfest Event.
13. Sept 24 - Created ad from scan of business card for Campus Ford using thumbnail link. (see vol10issue16)
14. Sept. 27, 28 - Created ad for Ebony Fashion Fair for printed newspaper and also adjusted for web. Also created ad for Tricia's Fashions. Adjusted size of pop-up window to accomodate larger Ebony Fashion Fair ad. (see vol10issue17)
15. Oct 5 to 8 - Began issue17 and completed with 4 ads listed to serve as sales tool. Oct 11 - set-up new pop-window in issue 07 to serve for pages not included in TOC. Set up folders and files to create a single headline page for missed issues. Archive will provide at least a single headline page for missed issues. Created special TOC to accomodate these files. Goal is to have complete by Oct 22 and to anounce web presence in Nov 1 printed newspaper (vol10issue19).
16. Oct 18th - new intern, Priscilla Johnson, comes on board for vol 10 issue 19. Tasked with formating anniversery issue and developing young publishers links page.
17. Feb 7th, 2005 - Created Ad for Paper to use in promoting MiBulletin web site.
18. April 2006 - Began display of page 1 image of PDF file instead of making web pages. Later included link to each of the pages for each issue as provided.
19. Sept 21, 2008 - rate changes for advertising.